Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dear Mrs. SUV,

You and I have a lot more in common than I'd like to admit. We both drive SUVs, although mine gets considerably better gas mileage. We both like to park in the "compact cars only" spots in parking garages, but my SUV actually is more compact than most cars. Your Escalade sticks out. We both probably enjoy peering down through the windows of smaller cars beside us at stoplights. It is evident that both of our BMIs are a bit higher than either of us would probably like. You apply makeup while driving, I've seen you. That's ok. I do it too. Although I try to leave the eyeliner job at home. That can get a little messy.

But, Mrs. SUV, there is one glaring difference between us. I know how to cut corners. No, I'm not talking about using a cup less flour when making pie crust, or adding water to my gasoline. I'm talking about staying within my turning lane at an intersection. In the past two days, I have witnessed you and four of your clones cutting people off as you absentmindedly veer into their turning lane. That not-so-faint white line isn't there for you to straddle like you're back in college. You're supposed to stay on your side of it. I have seen the looks of despair, anger and exasperation sweep across your victims' faces as you veer your Monstrosity of Metal all over the damn road. Do your fake nails make it hard for you to accurately turn your steering wheel? Do you think you're in some suburban version of Grand Theft Auto? Well cut your nails and snap back to reality.

I thought I had escaped the likes of you when I left the Metroplex. I was wrong. I guess I can find comfort knowing that, like teenyboppers, SUV Matrons are the same everywhere.

Sincerely,

A Self-Aware SUV Driver

5 comments:

Ruth said...

oh my!! this is really funny!

Shannon said...

Oh Brooke, that is hilarious! Although I'm sorry you're going through it. It seems that maybe getting the larger SVU kills as many braincells as the minivan does.

Believer said...

1. I forgot your birthday. This makes me a jerk.
2. You did not harass me about it. Making me a bigger jerk (because this makes you a better person than me).
3. Did you ever see Slumdog?
4. Fuuuuuuck.

Diane said...

Brooke----I guess you'll be happy? to know that the Mrs. SUVs here in Dallas-Fort Worth are still the same also...they just have sisters in the Pacific Northwest....maybe it has to do with the Escalade/Lexus paint jobs or the exhaust...or could just be that they think they do not have to follow rules and drive safely. I f you could see past their darkened windows, I'll bet you see them texting or talking. They are safer than everyone else---they drive "Monstrosities of Metal"---great post

Stephanie said...

Oh wow, funny!