Sunday, June 14, 2009

Found


I spent this past New Year's Eve with some of my favorite people that I rarely get to see. Sarah, Rachel, and I were all roommates in a tiny apartment our junior year of college. The one unchanging aspect us that we have in common is that we all LOVE to read. Rachel works at Half Price Books, and I am so jealous of that fact. Her apartment was literally overflowing with new and gently-used books, and in her usual generosity, she offered us some. I selected Found II.

Found II (and it's predecessor, Found) is a compilation of notes, drawings, etc. that people across the world have found in random places, found interesting for some reason or another, and submitted to the two brothers who compile the books. It's GREAT book to have around when you have company, when you are bored and want to see insight into humanity, or...well anytime.

The brothers are currently rounding off a US tour, and last night they stopped by Sam Bond's Garage in Eugene! I went with a friend and ended up running into some other friends. They had people with them who like and are watching Battlestar Galactica, so that was very exciting for me. The show was GREAT, and I laughed a lot. They read some of their favorite "found" items, and one of the brothers played some songs he wrote about the notes. The songs were really, really good, and one of them almost made me cry. I am sad for my Texas friends if they missed these dudes when they came through, but hopefully they'll do another tour at some point. All in all, it was a great evening.

And now I am going to sit outside, eat watermelon, and read. Perhaps I'll watch Game 5 later, but I am feeling undecidedly hopeful about the outcome.

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the Found books. Bet that was a fun event!