Friday, July 4, 2008

Six Feet Under at 426 ft.

When I moved to Houston and found myself getting bored, I joined Netflix. I particularly enjoyed watching TV series on discs. Here, despite walking Luna, reading, going to state parks and more, I STILL get bored. There's a Blockbuster less than a mile away, so I joined their program where you can get as many movies (one at a time) in a month for a set membership cost. Well, I was determined to get more than my money's worth, and I think I have accomplished that pretty well.

I recently started watching Six Feet Under. I had watched the first episode my junior year in college when Liz recommended it. Well I was distracted that day, and I never watched it again.

I really, really love the show. It's got Michael C. Hall, who is one of my favorite actors after having been captivated by his role as Dexter Morgan on Showtime. It's about a family who owns an independent funeral home. Their father has recently died, and this very distant, introverted family has to learn to deal with the loss and how to deal with each other. The casting is incredible. Lauren Ambrose plays the youngest child, a junior or senior in high school. I historically have not liked Lauren Ambrose (mostly in Can't Hardly Wait, but she's great for this role. The characters all have their flaws, and although I might find them annoying in real life, watching their progress and way of grappling everyday life issues is amazing, and I can't help but love them. Having recently lost my father, it is difficult at times to watch it, but in a way it's also cathartic in a way.

Well Luna and I just got back from walking to Blockbuster, so I could pick up the 3rd disc of Season 2. I guess now is as good a time as any to watch it!

Happy Fourth of July!

0 comments: