Sunday, January 18, 2009

Club o' Graphic

Last night my friend and I were discussing writing, reading and music. As I was fumbling to describe how I'd eventually like to write, I found myself comparing that end result to graphic novels. While I'm not 100% sure on how that comparison popped into my head, she and I continued to discuss how graphic novels take the hard route to convey a theme. It's not necessarily as obvious as a lot of other types of literature.

There is often a lot to discuss about graphic novels, such as characters and their development, plot turns, and what the hell does that picture of that bunny with red eyes sitting on a four-leaf clover on pg. 32 mean. Then I got the great idea to start a graphic novel book club in Eugene.

I have read maybe 2-3 graphic novels all the way through in my lifetime, but I thoroughly enjoyed each one. So I'm definitely an eager novice to the graphic novel scene, and I would hope that such a club would help me find other ones to read and enjoy.

I'm already in two book clubs, and with my tendency to procrastinate, avoid obligation and randomly start other books, that poses enough of a problem in my literary life. But I don't think a graphic novel club would worsen that. They're easy to read, and they can often be finished in a night.

So...this is something for me to think about. I might do some research first, like check out the library's stock of such books.

1 comments:

Karol said...

I love graphic novels. This sounds like fun to me. I check them out from the library from both the YA section and the Graphic Novel section from the third floor. Let me know if you start this. ~Karol