Saturday, May 31, 2008

Arizona is Weird

After sleeping in a little bit and Luna finally finding a place to relieve herself, we left Albuquerque and headed onto Flagstaff. We decided to take the scenic route to leave New Mexico and enter Arizona, so we passed through pretty areas and pueblos on the Zuni and Navajo reservations. We came across the Bandera Volcano and Ice Caves, and although Mom and I were both interested in exploring these, there was a $9 fee for each person and pets weren't allowed on the trails. Definitely not worth leaving Luna in the car to howl for an hour.
















Arizona cracked me up. It was one of the most ridiculous states I've ever been in, thanks in particular to several businesses and their advertisements. For example, one hair salon's sign said "HAIR SALON" and right below it was "VAYA CON DIOS," which leads me to wonder.....is this a warning that you'll need God after getting your hair done here? There was another hair salon several blocks away:


"Hair Salon: Hairlapenos"



Next we came across Stewarts Petrified Wood. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves... except to add that Luna howled at the man and the brontosaurus.




























































And finally, I leave you with the sign that best indicated Arizona's ridiculousness. It was at a rest stop, along with two hippies panhandling.If you're having difficulties reading the smaller sign, it says "Poisonous snakes and insects inhabit the area."

2 comments:

Ruth said...

So, from looking at your blog, you are still in AZ.....are you still in AZ???

Ann Harrison said...

BROOKE!!!
Aren't you in Oregon yet?!?
I'm loving the fact that I am getting such great music from your site and your sisters. Great fun!
I have traveled from Oregon to Connecticut a few times and I can relate to your travel "fun".
It is fun though, right? (I miss it so much.)
Let me know when you need your "How To Dress Like An Oregonian" handbook.
***Page 2: Layers Sweetie...Layers***