Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Back in the Grind

I have a job! After several weeks of stressful job searching, I finally came across a Craigslist ad for a job that was not only appealing, but seemed like something I could do! So I contacted the temp agency, and she had me come in for an interview and some skill testing. All went well, and I had an interview with the actual company for which I'd be working. They liked me, I liked them, and we decided to give it a go.

The actual nonprofit is called Integrated Research Services, Inc., and their "mission" so to speak is The Prevention Researcher (http://www.tpronline.org). This is a quarterly journal featuring five research articles pertaining to adolescents. Each issue focuses on one topic (Bullying, Adolescent Children of Alcoholics, Teens and Community are just to name a few), and they try to find a combination of what's new and innovative in the field, in-depth research, and something that fills the holes of research that is currently known.

My role will be to keep track of the subscriptions and new orders. The organization seems to be expanding in its ways of outreach, and they say there are a lot of opportunities for creativity and professional growth. There are six people working there, and it seems to be a wonderfully cohesive unit.

I'm excited! This is great, as I'd like to get into publishing later in life. I've worked there two days so far, and it's gone really well. I think I have a pretty good idea of how things work there, so I won't be in the dark forever... which is nice.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

CONGRATS Brooke!! Sounds like a very interesting place and they do some really good work.

Ruth said...

Sounds right up your alley!! Keep us posted...is there a way we can read the newsletter?

Brenda Liniger said...

Hey Brooke this is Brenda(Ruthies friend) and I love to read your blog to see how the Oregon adventure is going,,,,congrats on the new job!

Diane said...

Work sounds stimulating, and how great that it is a small, cohesive group.

Will you have helpful information to assist you in dealing with your adloescent (Luna)?