Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Favorite Things

I think I made it relatively clear in one of my posts that I really do like Oregon. What do I love about it? What do I miss about Texas? What do I NOT miss about Texas, and what do I dislike about Oregon?

LOVE about Oregon:
1. The weather - Granted it is June, and so the constant rain and gray has yet to arrive, but the sunny yet bearably warm days have been so wonderful. I have been able to sit in a chair in my backyard and read a book without breaking a sweat.
2. The neighborhoods - Here is a link to the Friendly Area Neighbors if you want to learn more about where I'm living this summer.

3. The Willamette River - I don't know if the river itself is very windy of if practically every main thoroughfare in the city goes over it, but I feel like I pass it several times on a journey. It's a wide, active river (perfect for toobing), and I love passing it by.

4. People talk to each other differently here, with a level of familiarity that I really enjoy. Just person to person. Cashiers, neighbors, etc. Everyone is really nice.

5. The library. The Eugene Library is incredible. Standing proudly at three stories, it is well staffed with a coffee bar in the front and a second hand book store right next door. When it was time for me to check out my book, all I had to do was insert my electronic library card into a machine, lay my books down on a raised surface on the desk (which automatically detected what the books were), remove my card and go. I couldn't believe it.

The exterior of the library
A view from the bottom of the stairwell.
6. It's summer, and I can layer! Anyone who knows me well knows I love my sweaters, pull overs,, etc. Well it's perfectly acceptable (even wise!) to dress that way here. Thank goodness!
Things I'm not really fond of about Eugene:
1. Gas attendants - I'm all about creating more jobs for people, but despite the obvious reason for my dismay is that gas prices are higher here as a result of the mandatory gas attendants, it really throws off my flow and routine as far as pumping gas.
2. One way streets - too many. I'm still confused about the street system here, and I'm so grateful to Mom for letting me have her TomTom GPS machine.
3. The food more or less is not what I'm used to. I'm going to find that anywhere I go. There were no pickles at an "authentic Texas pit BBQ" place I went to. I'm a picky eater, and this is my cross to bear.
Things I miss about Texas:
1. MY LOVED ONES - I think this one goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. Even though I think I've adapted quite well to having no one who knows me around, I do miss the comfort of relationships, and the phone and email is different than being around people.
2. Pickles with BBQ
3. Wide open streets...this is something that while I miss it, I like the community feel of having closer streets here.
4. Ranger baseball games. This loss will hopefully be alleviated by going to the Eugene Emeralds' baseball games.
5. My dogs, Katy and Lexie.
Things I DO NOT miss about Texas
1. Pretention.
2. Trucks, trucks, everywhere are trucks. And commercials for trucks. Yes, people here do drive trucks, but it's not a pissing contest like it is in Texas. People mostly drive Toyotas I've noticed...and usually for very utilitarian purposes.
3. Sweating when I walk outside at 8 am.
4. Ridiculous advice and condemning phrases on the 8 church marquees in a 3 mile run on Park Row in Arlington
Well, that's all for now. I need to get a fan for my room, simply to make noise. I'm used to having some sort of background noise when I sleep, and this silence won't do.

1 comments:

Diane said...

can't wait to come visit and see some things......want to see the waterfalls, rocky pacific coast, sample the wild salmon that is so inexpensive there----and bring you some joe t's salsa!