Monday, June 16, 2008

settling in

After I got back from my best good friend's wedding in Vancouver, B.C. I decided it was time to hit the job search harder than Juan Gonzalez hits a baseball. So I spent several days as a couch potato, surfing the internet for jobs. It was cold and gray here the first few days, and although that was very disappointing it worked out perfectly for vegging out on the couch.


Well I got stir crazy after the first two days of thought, and I started taking Luna on long walks. I LOVE my neighborhood. People here love to garden, and that definitely shows. Beautiful, lush yards with every different kind of flower imaginable are all over the place. The houses are all unique and special, very unlike the homes in Texas. Everywhere you'll see banners with peace signs hanging from windows, carefully manicured and tended gardens, cats keeping watch on porches, or remnants from a child's fun time playing in the yard the evening before, with a scooter or toys scattering the lawn. I love this beautiful, yet lived-in feeling. Down the street about 8 blocks is a the Friendly Street Market. I have walked there a couple of times with Luna, and they have a dog run off to the side where I can place her while I shop for milk or lemonade. I don't buy much since I have to carry it back. Of course she howls her face off while I'm shopping.
I have gotten to know some of the dog walkers in the neighborhood, and there's a nice couple down the street that have a beagle puppy girl named Cooper. It's adorable, but Luna doesn't like her. Probably just jealousy.
Things are so different here. The squirrels make loud chirping noises as they run atop the fence with Luna close behind six feet below. Although there is no air conditioning, we absolutely don't need it. Actually I have turned my in-room heater on a couple of times at night, but thankfully it has warmed up and I haven't for several days. Even employees at stores are different and more laid back. The guys at Blockbuster are really nice and actually tried to estimate if I'd get the most out of my Movie Pass, rather than trying to get me to buy more. I liked that. I love being able to walk up to people and start a conversation with a certain level of familiarity that should be found human to human. I can absolutely do that here without feeling like an outsider. It's wonderful.

Here are some pictures from the house where I'm living this summer:



Luna carefully eyeing Porter's rawhide bone. This bone is definitely a matter of contention with her. She has no qualms about walking up and sneak attacking him and stealing his bone. But if he dares get within 3 feet of her while she's chewing on it, she will go postal on him. Luckily he's a sweetie.










The front porch












The couch where I've spent a shameful amount of hours looking for jobs (and admittedly watching too much TV..)










A view of the back of the house from the giant backyard












The main common area with Porter dog sitting in the background.





I really love the house, backyard and neighborhood.

0 comments: