Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hi-Ho It's Herbal I Go

Although I hail from the South, I don't particularly like sweet tea. For that matter, I don't really like regular tea. I always associated it with cigarettes, leather pouches for cigarettes and lip stick marks, an association which can probably be attributed to my grandmother (the same reason I associate the smell of fried food with her multi-dimensional glass table, and big jewelry with hugs and kind eyes). I did enjoy drinking tea with orange juice as a kid, a concoction my dad favored when he would come in from working in the yard or his garden.

However, I first fell into the hot tea canyon in high school when I tasted Aveda's tea.

Aveda's Comforting Tea


Since then I have off and on treated myself to hot tea, perhaps when I have a cold, when I'm reading a book, or when I just want something tasty and warm to heat me up on a cool night.

Since moving to Eugene, I have encountered teas and herbs in many different fashions. I was having problems sleeping for awhile, and decided to try out Yogi Tea's Bedtime blend. I loved it so much, I got my mom six boxes of it for her birthday! I drink it ALMOST religiously, and I swear within 30-45 minutes of drinking it, I can barely hold my eyelids open. Yogi Tea is made here in Eugene, making it ALL that much more awesome for me to drink.

My friend Candice, who is leaving Eugene to go home for a few weeks before starting Herbalist school in Arizona, is an herb genius. A friend scraped his foot open, and next thing you know she comes over to him with herbs wrapped in some wet cloth with instructions for him to keep it on there for 30 minutes.

When I recently complained of problems unique to women, she of course had a solution other than Aleve, Tylenol PM and punching the nearest guy. Yesterday I went to pick up some furniture I bought from her, and I left with not only a bookshelf, tv stand, and weaving loom, but a dropper bottle of herbal extracts and a jar of black cohosh tea! What a nice treat! I also bought some Yogi Tea for this particular problem, so for my afternoon tea at work, I added a few droplets of the extract into my Yogi Tea, and...well I'll let you know!

Happy Tea Drinking!

3 comments:

Diane said...

The Yogi Tea's Bedtime Blend knocked me right out last night when I went to bed---1st dose! It tastes pretty good--very unlike tea. Thanks, Brooke---I look forward to my cup tonight.

I also enjoy the little sayings on each string tab on the tea bags---a bonus!

Anonymous said...

Can I order this stuff online? Tylenol PM makes me drowsy.

Tristan said...

I'm a believer in the herbal stuff. Turmeric is great for my nasty staph infections.