Sunday, September 14, 2008

Crater Lake

I can't believe I haven't written about my day at Crater Lake yet!

After a rough start in the morning (forgetting my wallet, sleeping in, etc.), I FINALLY was on my way for the three hour trip out there. The first part was a beautiful drive, through winding roads surrounded by tallllll trees and sudden drop offs.

Then I reached the Deschutes National Forest. The only thing I know about the word "Deschutes" is that there's a Deschutes Brewery that makes fabulous beer (my favorite being the Black Butte Porter) and a large river with that name. This forest wasn't as beautiful as I had anticipated (it was still gorgeous, just not AS gorgeous) due to wildfires.

Finally I reached the park, bought an annual pass for $20. It's $10 a trip, and this way I can go next summer as much as I want, provided gas isn't too ridiculous.

I started the venture with a hike down to the water's edge. It was incredibly blue and clear. Pretty much incredible. I found a great spot on a rock, half in the shade and half in the sun, and sat down to read awhile to enjoy the cool air from the lake and the warm rays of the sun. There were some guys above me on a large boulder doing all sorts of cool dives and flips into the lake. I really wished I had brought my bathing suit!

Then I hiked back up, which was a little more difficult than I had anticipated, but WELL worth it. After that I just drove around for awhile gawking at the stark beauty of the lake and its surroundings. I enjoyed driving through the park and taking pictures. I got some souvenirs at the lodge (a sheet of postcards and a much needed rain proof windbreaker!), then I drove around some more. Then I drove home for three hours and went out to enjoy some of that Black Butte Porter! I've posted a slideshow below!

1 comments:

Diane said...

Someday Iwant to go there....how did you do with winding roads?