Wednesday, September 24, 2008

You've GOT to Be Kidding

With the campaigns not quite at their height and the economy teetering on the edge of self destruction, there is a LOT of "media coverage" out there. I don't want to say I agree with Dusty Horwitt's equivalent of a blog , but he's got a point when he says the online barrage of facts and lies brings a new meaning to "too much information," or as my favorite jerk in Scranton, Michael Scott, would say, "TMI."

So, with all this excess of information, I am finding it more and more difficult to drill down on what's real, what's important and what's relevant.

Therefore, I was appalled when I went to my yahoo mail page, which always greets me with today's top headlines, and THIS is what I saw:

What? Michael Douglas is fielding questions about this CRISIS that America is facing?? That's about as relevant and important to me as Clay Aiken finally coming out of the closet. What I want to read is what Congress has to say about Paulson's three-page OUTLINE of the federal bailout of national companies! I don't care about some hairbrained reporter asking, " "Are you saying Gordon that greed is not good?"

I know it's on the entertainment tab of the headlines box, but it was the first headline that greeted me. I didn't have to click "Entertainment" to see it.

So what's worse? The fact that Yahoo put it on there or the fact that Americans are actually more interested in what Michael Douglas has to say about the economy than the people they elected to represent them?

No wonder Sarah Palin is doing even remotely well in the polls. Oh...I wonder what toner and skin cream she uses? Maybe someone will write an article about it, as opposed to discussing, oh...I don't know.....her stance on diplomacy over preemptive war.

1 comments:

Ruth said...

for once, i completely agree with you