Monday, September 22, 2008

Dog Park Woes


As you know I love going to the dog park. It's even more exciting that there is an extremely cute guy there to brighten the landscape.

But tonight, and last night, Luna acted out. I'd like to blame it on the fact that she ate a pork chop bone last night and wasn't feeling well, but I think she's just an ornery little dog sometimes.

Last night someone got a little too frisky with her, and she screamed at them. And when I say screamed, I mean scream. She's got this loud howl/bark mixture, and she throws in a rabbit scream. It sounds like someone is torturing her. And she gets snarly and jumps up at the other dog's face. I don't think she'd EVER bite, but it's still disconcerting.

Tonight I thought things were going smoothly. It was REALLY cold (well, 52 degrees, but I thought it was cold), but cold in an invigorating way. My roommate and her dogs were there, and Luna and Nikko were playing fetch with me. It was dark out, and I was walking around looking for a ball, when this bright, new neon green tennis ball appeared out of nowhere. I considered picking it up, but I figured some owner might've just bought it, so I decided to leave it alone.

But Luna evidently thought it'd be a good idea to get it for me, and when she went for it this dog appeared out of nowhere and lunged at her growling, to which she responded with her usual vicious valor. Then ALL the dogs decided to join in, and next thing I know I'm surrounded by four or five dogs all barking and growling. And I didn't know what to do!! I've read a million times to grab your dog by their hind legs and pull them out when that happens, but I couldn't even see Luna's hind legs and frankly, I thought they might be in some dog's mouth. Well the other dog's owner got their dog out, and Luna skulked away...knowing she had messed up. Nikko ended up with the ball! But Luna was sitting, waiting for me at the edge of the meadow. Her ears were drooping, and she knew that was not a lady-like way to behave. As I walked away, I heard one of the spectators at the picnic table commenting that they thought it was the "little guy" that started it. I cringed and wanted to retort back to save my dog's honor.

I was glad she was ok and that no dogs were hurt. But I was mortified...mortified to see that the my dog park crush must've arrived in the middle of all that and seen it all.

Any tips on how to get a defensive/territorial dog to not be that way? She's fine at home...so it's not necessarily with other dogs. I think it's just when she feels cornered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you blogged about your dog.
oh, brooke.
and if you are worried dog park crush saw you in a bad time, then you should use your brooke-moves so he can (ahem) get to know you in the best way possible.

Diane said...

Well, my dear, Luna is Luna. Because she has so many positive attributes...lovable, cute, smart, affectionate (snockers), and outgoing...you might just need to deal with her snarly, I'm not as ferocious as I think mentality. Just make sure you are are firm with her and keep your eyes on her (not CDPG) and try to avert trouble. As we know, she can always find trouble!